metal or porcelain.
Several factors are important to consider when choosing a crown, including:
Types of dental crowns
- Composite resin
- Alloy or combination of materials
- The location of the tooth being crowned
- How much of the tooth will show when you smile
- Position of your gum tissue
- Function of the tooth that needs the crown
- How much natural tooth is remaining
- Color of the surrounding teeth
Who needs a crown?If you have a large cavity that’s too big for a filling, it may be time for a crown.
You may also need a crown if your tooth is:
- Severely worn down
- Crowns are also recommended following a root canal on a tooth, because the tooth is more fragile and needs protection.