When is it an emergency?
- You have severe pain that just won’t go away
- You have sensitivity to hot or cold
- You have a new “bump” on your gums
- You have a dark spot on your gum, cheek, tongue or lips
- You have noticed a change in your facial structure
- It hurts to swallow
- You have a hot to touch spot on your face
- You noticed something new
- Your broke a tooth or lost an old filling
- Your crown came off
- An existing appliance you have either doesn’t fit or it’s broken
- You have a bad taste or smell
What to expect at your appointment? Your dentist will take xrays and photos of the area of concern and complete an examination of the area, in addition they will do a special test by tapping on the area or applying hot/cold. Your dentist will ask you a series of questions such as but not limited to how long you have had this pain? Are you taking any medications? How is your overall health? Have you been hit or bit on something hard recently? Has this issue come up before?
During this thorough examination, your dentist will determine and diagnose the cause of your concern and present you with treatment options.